Healthspace Puna ora lets you explore health and environmental data for regions across Aotearoa New Zealand.
What is Healthspace?
Healthspace is a data visualisation tool that lets you explore regional data for indicators about environmental health in Aotearoa New Zealand
You can explore indicators for different health topics at the regional level, using interactive data visualisation tools. These tools include dashboards to explore indicator data across regions, and local area reports for Alcohol-related harm. Data are provided for regions such as districts, public health services and local government (regional and district councils).
Healthspace will be useful for anyone interested in data and statistics about New Zealand’s environmental health and health status of New Zealanders. People who might find this information useful for decision-making and policy development include:
- the health sector
- local government
- central government
- non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
Healthspace brings together data from a range of sources
What indicators and data are available in Healthspace?
Healthspace brings together indicators from a range of data sources. These data sources include:
- national climate database (NIWA, the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research)
- recreational bathing dataset (Land, Air, Water Aotearoa (LAWA))
- Annual Report on Drinking Water Quality (Ministry of Health)
- hospitalisations (Ministry of Health, National Minimum Dataset)
- cancer registrations (Ministry of Health, New Zealand Cancer Registry)
- mortality (Ministry of Health, New Zealand Mortality Collection).
- notifiable disease notifications (EpiSurv, Environmental Science and Research (ESR) Ltd)
- New Zealand Health Survey(Ministry of Health)
- Census of Population and Dwellings (Statistics NZ)
- Annual Agricultural Production Survey and Agricultural Census (Statistics NZ)
- motor vehicle registrations (New Zealand Motor Vehicle Register).
A key benefit of Healthspace is that it includes data and statistics that are not available anywhere else, including:
- Environmental Health Indicators and indicators of alcohol-related harm for Aotearoa New Zealand
- data at the local government level.
Our team has analysed and produced many of the statistics available on Healthspace.
How often is the data updated?
The environmental health indicators are updated when the factsheets are published.
Other Healthspace indicators are updated less frequently, for example, when data becomes available (such as with Census and New Zealand Health Survey data).
Healthspace is run by the Environmental Health Intelligence NZ (EHINZ) team at Massey University.
The Environmental Health Intelligence NZ team monitors environmental health in Aotearoa New Zealand, through a set of Environmental Health Indicators. The team has experience in public health, environmental health and spatial analysis. Professor Barry Borman leads the EHINZ team.
For more information, visit the website www.ehinz.ac.nz.
How to cite
You can cite Healthspace data in the following way:
Environmental Health Intelligence. [Year]. [Insert indicator topic]. Healthspace. Wellington: Environmental Health Intelligence NZ, Massey University. Available from https://healthspace.ac.nz. (Accessed [insert date]).
We want to acknowledge Manatū Hauora Ministry of Health, for funding the Environmental Health Intelligence NZ.
For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Environmental Health Intelligence NZ — Rapu Mātauranga Hauora mo te Taiao – Aotearoa, makes no warranty, express or implied, nor assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, correctness, completeness or use of any information that is available on this website.